Is 2021 The Time To Sell Your Business?
As we come into the Spring season, this is when we will really see the economy open up and demand for resources return at unprecedented levels.
Clearly 2020 was a year like no other with the COVID19 pandemic and resulting lockdowns affecting some businesses quite severely, namely in the hospitality, events and retail sectors. At the same time other businesses have fared quite well, in many cases seeing an uptick in demand through the year. The technology and B2B service sectors were able to switch to homeworking relatively easily, whilst many engineering and construction related businesses have been able to continue working with social distancing measures in place.
From our perspective, there is much to be positive about in 2021.
Not only do the vaccines give us all hope for living more normally with the virus – and what an incredible feat of human ingenuity the speedy development of these vaccines demonstrates – but also there are a good many well established businesses which have remained sustainable and indeed have thrived due to their ingenuity.
2020 saw a good number of deals completed successfully. Appetite for acquisition has remained strong and we were able to bring to the market a good number of businesses for sale.
We have continued to take on a good number of new sale mandates throughout the year and we look forward to bringing these to the market in 2021. Indeed, there is an increasing number of buyers with funds actively looking for businesses to acquire.
As always though, buyers’ focus remains on the sustainability of the business in terms of its management, key customers and prospects for growth.
In seeking out new businesses for acquisition, we are finding that buyers are still confident in the marketplace, and looking for solid businesses, here’s why:
- Businesses in the engineering, construction and business services sectors report that they remain busy, with a strong pipeline of new business.
- Valuations have in the main remained at pre-Covid levels, both in terms of multiples of earnings and buyers taking a medium to long term view.
- There are a good number of infrastructure, building and engineering projects underway in the US. In these times, there is a general consensus that the government will be keen to bolster the economy by ensuring these projects continue to be funded.
- With continuing confidence amongst business owners and investors looking to expand their businesses, acquisitions represent an immediate means of achieving compounded growth.
- There remains a high level of cash reserves in both trade buyers’ companies and investor groups’ funds, ready to acquire profitable and sustainable businesses.
- Interest rates remain low driving further the desire for acquisitions with high ROI.
Which businesses will sell well in 2021?
Whatever the economic conditions when it comes to sales, mergers and acquisitions in the market, certain factors hold true – perhaps now more so than ever. Businesses which sell well typically have the same traits, they:
- Operate in a niche market with strong barriers to entry
- Have consistent recurring revenue, with clients often locked in by a service contract
- Have strong profit margins
- Demonstrate tangible growth and opportunities to expand
Such businesses include the sectors listed below. This is proven by the acquisitive demand for such businesses that we have seen over the last 5 years or so.
- IT support and telecommunications
- Automotive Service Based Businesses
- Trade Oriented Service Businesses
- Precision engineering for medical laboratory and food processing markets
- Facilities management, building security & fire systems, and commercial cleaning
- HVAC, refrigeration and vending / catering equipment maintenance
- Software development and Software-as-a-service (SAAS)
- Logistics and distribution
We have hundreds of active buyers on our database and consistently receive multiple enquiries for each business we market in these sectors.
Good businesses with sound returns will always sell well. It is also best to sell while you are still successful and enjoying it.
Is 2021 the year to sell your business? Let us help you decide by scheduling your free breakthrough call:
We are here for you if you have questions about selling, and ready to help you get started when you are ready.
YOU CAN GET A FREE ESTIMATE OF VALUE –
LEARN THE SECRETS OF SELLING YOUR BUSINESS
This book is jam packed with examples, templates, and how to guides for selling your business – you can have it for FREE!
READY TO GET STARTED?
There are many aspects to consider when selling your business, make sure you have every part covered by signing up with IAG today!